Cochlear Implant Discussion

10:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

I think I mentioned in a previous post that a second opinion revealed that Elsie may be a candidate for a cochlear implant. Surprise! They had originally told us her hearing would have to get worse for that to be the case. I am so thankful we decided to get that second opinion. Now we are filled with new information and decisions to make that could affect Elsie's hearing and speech future greatly. They typically do the surgery around one year of age after all the necessary testing has been done. The "bionic ear" would basically bypass the ear, sending the sound information directly to the hearing nerve, the cochlea.   I am still learning how it all works!

This is the piece that is implanted. 

This is the promotional display for one company. There are two to choose from.  One exciting part is that there are water resistant and water proof options and accessories. That has been one of our concerns with the hearing aids. 

One of the big decisions is where to go for the surgery and audiological services. The Moog Center in St. Louis is amazing and we like that they are pediatric based. Our center here in Springfield does pediatrics and adults, so we have found some disadvantages there. We are praying God gives is clear direction and peace. His peace certainly calms the storms that like to brew in my heart as I try to process all of this and the long term challenges Elsie will face. I cling to His grace and to the word. I am thankful we are not alone and that we do have access to the latest technology. 

0 comments: