hope for a better delivery, 2nd time

5:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

I feel the need to share about Elsie Joy's delivery because my delivery with Charis was so, well, bad. I don't think I ever blogged about it because it was that bad. For a quick recap, I was induced at 3 pm. I didn't let them break my water but it broke on its own at 1am. At that point, the contractions were so bad I asked for an epidural. By 4 am I was ready to push. At 6 am (2 hours later) I was exhausted and couldn't do it anymore. The doctor used the vacuum. Charis Anne was born at 6:06 am. For the next hour, the doctor was sewing me up. At one point, I passed out because my blood pressure dropped to 52 over 25. I lost half of my blood and got 2 transfusions the next day. I was on pain meds for 6 weeks :/ 

Everyone said it would be easier the second time around but I was still weary. I did some digging to find a great doctor. One of the things I liked about her was that she delivers her babies as long as she is in town. Sigh. Of course, she tells me at my 38 week appointment that she is going out of town the entire week of my due date. Would I like to induce? Um… yes! It was not a choice we were wanting to make, but felt it was the only way to go given our previous experience. I didn't want to be explaining my issues on the delivery table. 

So, for Elsie's birth, we went in at 5 am and was started on the pitocin by 6 am. Around 8:45 my doctor came in and broke my water. An hour later I got my epidural. Matthew and I napped


and watched The Parent Trap. My nurse Connie was absolutely amazing! We are so thankful for her. She kept turning me to help the baby move down. 

By 2 pm I was ready to push and the room filled with all kinds of people. I pushed through 3, count 'em, 3 contractions and at 2:11 pm we had our Elsie Joy! I only had two small tears and was able hold my baby through everything. 



Our hospital has done away with the newborn nursery and practices skin-to-skin care right away. It was awesome to not be separated from the person who had been inside me for 9 months. 

Matthew and I praise God for this amazing delivery and for the miraculous gift of our sweet baby girl! We feel so blessed and honored to be her parents. She has been such a great baby

0 comments: